Serena Williams wins Aussie Open
Serena Williams beat top-seeded Maria Sharapova to win the Australian Open in Melbourne. Took less than an hour. Score: 6-1, 6-2.
Serena Williams in the Australian Open
- her eighth Grand Slam title
- only the second unseeded woman to win the Aussie title in the Open era (Chris O'Neill in 1978 the other one)
- was ranked No. 81 going in
- had been down with a knee injury
- dedicated the title to her half-sister, Yetunde Price, who was shot to death in 2003
- did win the 2005 Australian Open
25 years old
younger and shorter than Venus
born in Saginaw, Michigan (not Lynwood, California)
middle name Jameka
Olympic gold in doubles in 2000
2002-03 "Serena slam"
- held all four grand-slam titles at once