Cinco de Mayhem: de la Hoya vs Mayweather
I couldn't ignore the hype. The fight that could save boxing: "Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather vs "Golden Boy" Oscar de la Hoya at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Now why would two grown men want to pound each other's handsome face to a pulp? Mayweather stands to make at least $10 million to De La Hoya's $25 million. "It's not about the money. This Superfight is going to resurrect boxing." Okay...
This World Boxing Council super-welterweight title fight sold out 16,200 tickets in less than three hours. Pay-per-view buys are expected to exceed 1.5 million.
'Pretty Boy' Floyd Mayweather (37-0, 24 knockouts)
- bronze medal at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, as a featherweight
- a win today means major titles in five different divisions
- speed, youth
'Golden Boy' Oscar De La Hoya (38-4, 30 KOs)
- gold medal at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona
- Ring Magazine's "Fighter of the Year" in 1995
- Ring Magazine's best "Pound for Pound" fighter in the world in 1997
- the only fighter to win world titles in six weight classes
- experience, size
There's a cottage industry in Los Angeles of young women flaunting the fact they've been impregnated by La Hoya, like it's some sort of badge or trophy, which it probably is. "I have a baby by de la Hoya. Really, I do!" (proud, excited giggle)